You are here

Betty Lawrence Lewis

Betty Lawrence Lewis

B.A. Brooklyn College
J.D. Rutgers University, School of Law- Newark

Professor Lewis recently retired from New York City Law Department where she served as Borough Chief of The Bronx Tort Office for 21 years and as a trial attorney for the previous six years. Professor Lewis has been a staff attorney for the Legal Aid Society and the Center for Constitutional Rights. She is an Adjunct Associate Professor at NYC College of Technology, where she has taught paralegal trainees for many years.  She has been a consistent member of the NYC Law Department’s trial advocacy program.

Professor Lewis is a skilled trial attorney who has selected over 100 juries during her legal career. She has tried high exposure cases for the City and has the distinction of having achieved total wins in over 75% of the cases she tried, and partial wins in the remaining 25%. In addition to the cases she has tried for the City, she has supervised hundreds of trials and helped a countless number of attorneys develop winning strategies in their cases.

Professor Lewis has been the recipient of numerous awards for excellence including the following: an Outstanding Achievement  Award from the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Committee on Municipal Affairs; Outstanding Public Service from New York County Lawyers’ Association; Jane M. Bolin Diversity Leadership Award from the Corporation Counsel; Jeffrey D. Friedlader Excellence in Management and Supervision Award from the Corporation Counsel.