You are here
Professor Elizabeth Burleson has her LL.M. in International Law from the London School of Economics, her J.D. from the University of Connecticut School of Law, and is a Fulbright Senior Specialist. She has taught Energy Law, Human Rights and Environment, International Environmental Law, Public International Law, UN Law, International Law and China, Property Law, International Economic Law and the Environment, Water Law, and Environmental Law. She has presented on treaty-making for the UN Office of Legal Affairs, having participated in the drafting process for the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and Agenda 21. She was a member of the UNICEF delegation to the Bali Climate Conference; worked with the NWF and UNEP delegations to the Copenhagen Climate Conference; and with the IUCN and ASIL delegations to the Cancun, Durban and Doha Climate Negotiations. Professor Burleson is on the International Law Association’s Committee on the Principles Relating to Climate Change, IUCN's Climate Change Core Group, and the National Wildlife Federation President's Advisory Council. She has also conducted legal research for Amnesty International's London-based International Secretariat and New York-based research division and has provided climate-energy expertise to the Japanese, Uruguayan and French Governments. She has also provided legal advice to small island states and least developed countries through the Legal Response Initiative.
- Comparative Environmental Law and Regulation (Burleson, Heng & Robinson ed. West 2012).
REPRESENTATIVE BOOK CHAPTERS:
- “Climate Coordination among States and Civil Society,” in The Oxford Handbook of International Climate Change Law, (Carlarne et al ed. Oxford: 2012) forthcoming.
- “The Polar Regions and Environmental Law,” in Routledge Handbook of International Environmental Law, (Alam et. al ed. Routledge: 2012).
- “Tribes as Essential Partners in Achieving Sustainable Governance,” in Legal Strategies for Greening Local Government, (Hirokawa & Salkin, ed. ABA: 2012).
- Climate and Water Governance Chapters in Waters and Water Rights, Chapters 4A, 25, 26, 27 (R. Beck and A. Kelly, ed. Reed Elsevier / Matthew Bender: annually revised 2007-present).
- “Innovation, Adaptation and Climate Change Law,” in Implementing Adaptation Strategies by Legal, Economic and Planning Instruments on Climate Change, (Springer: 2012) forthcoming.
REPRESENTATIVE LAW REVIEW PUBLICATIONS:
- Emerging Human Rights and Environmental Law in the Context of Hydraulic Fracturing for Natural Gas, _ Case Western Reserve Law Review _ (2013) forthcoming.
- Cooperative Federalism and Hydraulic Fracturing, _ Cornell Journal of Law and Public Policy _ (2013) forthcoming.
- The Future of Green Technology Law and Policy, Georgetown International Environmental Law Review, DC (2013). Forthcoming
- Climate Sustainability through Ethics, Economic, and Environmental Coordination 43 ELR News & Analysis 4 (2013) forthcoming.
- Field Notes from the Super-Storm Sandy Catastrophe, _ Columbia Journal of Environmental Law Field Reports _ (2013).
- Collective Climate Solution Generation and Implementation, 30 Yale Journal Regulation Online 17 (2012).
- Arctic Justice: Addressing Persistent Organic Pollutants, University of Minnesota Law School, 30 Law and Inequality 57 (2012). Co-author.
- Innovation Cooperation: Energy Biosciences and Law, 2011 University of Illinois Law Review 651 (2011) Lead-author.
- From Coase to Collaborative Property Decision-making: Green Economy Innovation, 14 Tulane Journal of Technology and Intellectual Property 79 (2011)
- Making Sand Castles as the Tide Comes In: Legal Aspects Of Climate Justice, 2 George Washington Journal of Energy and Environmental Law 42 (2011) (in partnership with the Environmental Law Institute).
- Perspective on Economic Critiques of Disability Law: the Multifaceted Federal Role in Balancing Equity and Efficiency, 8 Indiana Health Law Review 335 (2011).
- Energy Revolution and Disaster Response in the Face of Climate Change, 22 Villanova Environmental Law Journal 169 (2011).
- Climate Change Consensus: Emerging International Law, 34 William and Mary Environmental Law and Policy Review 543 (2010).
- Collaborative Community-based Natural Resource Management, 21 Fordham Environmental Law Review 201 (2010) Lead-author.
- Emerging Law Addressing Climate Change and Water, Houston Law Center, 5 Environmental and Energy Law and Policy Journal 489 (2010).
- Climate Change Displacement to Refuge, University of Oregon, 25 Journal of Environmental Law and Litigation 19 (2010).
- From Nondiscrimination to Civil Marriage, 19 Cornell Journal of Law and Public Policy 383 (2010).
- Energy Policy, Intellectual Property and Technology Transfer to Address Climate Change, 18 University of Iowa Transnational Law and Contemporary Problems 69 (2009).
- Energy Security, Green Job Creation, and Youth Innovation, 24 Connecticut Journal of International Law 381 (2009).
- Wind Power, National Security, and Sound Energy Policy, 17 Penn State Environmental Law Review 137 (2009).
- A Climate of Extremes: Transboundary Conflict Resolution, 32 Vermont Law Review 477 (2008).
- Water Leadership and the Rights of Youth to Sustainable Development, 31 Hamline Law Review 755 (2008).
- Multilateral Climate Change Mitigation, 41 University of San Francisco Law Review 373 (2007).
- Tribal, State, and Federal Cooperation to Achieve Good Governance, 40 Akron Law Review 207 (2007).
- Middle Eastern and North African Hydropolitics: From Eddies of Indecision to Emerging International Law, 18 Georgetown International Environmental Law Review 385 (2006).
- Juvenile Execution, Terrorist Extradition, and Supreme Court Discretion to Consider International Death Penalty Jurisprudence, 68 Albany Law Review 909 (2005).
- Equitable and Reasonable Use of Water in the Euphrates-Tigris River Basin, 35 Environmental Law Reporter 10041 (2005).
REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS, ARTICLES, ESSAYS & DOCUMENTARY FILMS:
- International Law Association Committee on the Principles Relating to Climate Change Report (Rajamani ed. ILA: 2012) contributing author.
- Legal Aspects of Climate Justice, (ABA and UNDP: 2010) co-author.
- Cancun Climate Negotiations, 15 American Society of International Law Insight 41 (2011) co-author.
- Climate Change and the Bali Roadmap, 12 American Society of International Law Insight 4 (2008).